How does it work?
The South African private security sector is governed by the Private Security Regulation Act, which states that all guarding security officers must be registered before they may be employed. Companies that employ their own in-house security offices need to be registered with PSIRA as a security provider. Security guards are graded according to their qualifications, experience and training. Guarding South Africa goes one step further by conducting the following:
- Aptitude test
- Site specific tests
- Pre-employment polygraph testing
- Security screening
The roles and responsibilities of guards differ and are dependent on the grade that the guard has obtained. The lowest grade for security officers in South Africa is grade D, with the highest being grade A.
Prices are governed by PSIRA and can be viewed on the PSIRA website.
What’s is expected from each grade?
Grade D Security Guards
A Grade D’s main function is access control.
Grade C Security Guards
A Grade C’s main function is access control of a higher risk area and supervision of lower grade security officers.
Grade B Security Guards
- A Grade B’s main function is access control in high-risk areas where documentation and basic computer skills might be required.
- A site or shift commander.
- Managing of lower grade security officers.
- Possible inspector doing site visits.
Grade A Security Guards
- A grade A’s main function would normally be a site manager or commander.
- Controlling and managing a number of functions.
- Managing the security workforce
- Conducting risk assessments and evaluations on site daily.
- Basic investigative skills.
- Problem solving.
- Designing security solutions.
- When selecting the grade of a security officer make sure to assess the officer on site prior to confirming the appointment. It is not uncommon to find a more skilled and capable individual that is of a lower grade.
- Prices are governed by PSIRA and can be viewed on the PSIRA website
- Avoid fly by night companies. A guideline to a reputable security company would be that the pricing is governed.