Guarding South Africa (GSA) security officer’s awareness prevented a client’s premises from burning down. One of the security officers on his routine patrol noticed an adaptor sparking. The sparking soon turned into a fire and was immediately extinguished by the security officer. Further checks by additional security officers followed and popping sounds were heard in the reception, second floor, change room and workshop area on the premises. The security officer used his initiative and immediately switched off the main switch on the distribution board preventing possible serious damage. This took place after hours and the emergency procedure was actioned. The premises were made safe in a short space of time.